Thursday, July 29, 2010

Dog Days of Summer

While I sort of understand while we say "the dead of winter," I don't really get why we say "the dog days of summer."

oh. I just looked it up on wikipedia and I got told.

Here is my summary. Hold on to your seat because it is about to get complicated in here. Once upon a time, there were Romans and they liked stars. And there was a star that, in their language, was called the Dog Star and it was the brightest star, after the sun. Way back in those days, when this here Dog Star rose right before the sun (which doesn't happen anymore), the Romans called that time the Dog Days AND this happened during the summer and was, liiiike, way totally hot.

the end.

Anyway, I absolutely, positively, undoubtedly despise winter. Specifically "the dead of winter," when it is so cold my eyes freeze shut (not joking), there is no green except for those there deciduous trees, no pretty smells outside, my fingertips are freezing under my many layers of clothes, the temperature is 0 and but it feels like negative 50 with the windchill (still not joking) and the snow drifts are nearly my height (still not making this up).I hate that the sun comes up late and goes down early. I don't like that it's so slick that everyone falls all the time and even my dog wants to take care of his personal business on the front steps. Ew, and I have to scrape snow and ice off my care and the windows fog up on the way to work.

ew ew ew!!

THAT is why I am in heaven, even during the dog days of summer. Give me 90% humidity. Give me heat advisories and 110 temperatures. I'm okay with this! I have a pool to jump into. My hair is naturally wavy, I'll deal with the beauty quirks. It's better than trying to deal with hat head in the winter. It smells sweet like grass outside. Birds and bugs are making beautiful sounds that I could sit and listen to for hours. I feel so alive in this weather, even if it gets so extreme.

Obviously, I do prefer a 77 degree, partly cloudy day. Good for a t-shirt, jeans and sandals. Great for a walk so I can appreciate the beautiful plants that have bloomed.

But you will NOT find me complaining about the worst of summer. Because I remember all too well what winter brings and I do. not. like. it.
at. all.



No comments: