Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sweet Corn

*drool*
I had good ol' locally grown Iowa sweet corn yesterday. And THAT is an experience, not just a vegetable. I forget that every year.

You have to get the perfect ears of corn, or the whole experience is wrong. With the right corn, you don't even have to add salt or pepper. Maybe just a dab of butter. The kernels are fairly small and pop into your mouth when your teeth just barely touch them. It has just the right sweet flavor to it. Just reliving the three cobs that I ate last night is making me drool.

I've had regular ol' corn on the cob. It's fine. It tastes, y'know... cornish. The kernels are sort of mushy when you bite them off and it tastes best when you slather on butter and dash salt and pepper on. And even this corn is found in Iowa.
But, not last night. When I was in the middle of my euphoria, nibbling delicately on my cob, savoring each bite that popped into my mouth, I wondered why I ever felt annoyed at the notion that people stereotype Iowans as hicks who live on farms. I'm proud of our farmers! They work hard (understatement) all year and despite the difficult weather we've had this year.... somebody provided me with that amazing, sweeeeet, juicy corn on the cob.

1 comment:

Jess said...

MMM.... email me some!!