Sunday, November 23, 2008

Logan

If you ask me, my dog is a precious little boogleedoo. I'd have his sweet little face posted on here, but I'm scandalously writing this from work. Instead, my writing will have to do.

When people ask what his breed is, my husband and I glance anxiously at each other take a deep sigh, because Logan is not what we thought he was and we want to answer slowly and carefully, so as not to offend anyone. People are often taken off guard by our response. I'm sure they expect us to giggle a little and say, "Oh, he's just some mutt." or go ahead and say, "Oh, he's just a widdle itty bitty Yorkie!" But it's so much more complicated. Logan thought he was a Yorkie and that's what we thought we were getting when we adopted the fuzzy little golden boy. So we prepare the inquirers for our answers, sit them down and, with understanding faces, we begin the story.

"Well," we start, "he looks like an oversized yorkie. We thought we were getting a yorkie, you see. And we like to make sure he doesn't feel bad about himself, so we haven't really discussed the discovery that he is actually a Silky Terrier, something no one knows of, but something that I find to be a blessing, bless his tiny little fluffy soul."

So there you have it. He looks like a precious yorkie on steriods, weighing in at 12 pounds, when yorkies generally weigh about 4 pounds. He doesn't really look real, is the weird thing. He looks like a stuffed animal that moves with these most animated moves, and looks at us with these amazing brown eyes that melt your heart like Gizmo's do on The Gremlins.

What being a silky terrier means is that Logan is very timid upon meeting new people. He doesn't bark much, he's pretty laidback about what people do to him. He's just a pretty chill dog. The only thing that makes him hyper are knowing that treats or chew bones are on the way and the arrival of people he knows. Even then, he doesn't bark. He flaps his arms for me. So hard that if I attached little wings to his arms, he'd totally fly.

The problem is, he is my little angel. Stress on the my. When it's just Logan and me, he behaves so well. Seeing as how he is two, there are absolutely no accidents. He tells me he needs to go outside either with a whimper or by pushing on something with his nose. He doesn't have any barking fits. He spends most of his time chewing on chew bones, curled up in my lap, or snoozing on his back somewhere. When I do my stretches, he'll even join me with his own little yoga poses. We have a great time. When it's just us at home, or if just I travel with him to my mom's he's an absolute picture of the perfect dog.

But when Kevin joins the picture or when it's just Kevin and Logan... something happens. I'll tell you now, on our lease, they accidentally put that Logan is a "Silky Terror" and even though Kevin loves him as much as I do, he tells people, "Isn't that the truth." With Kevin around or even when Kevin takes him to his parents' house, Logan suddenly has this need to show him who's boss. He'll have barking fits that used to last up to a half hour. He'll act out and have an accident, even though he's capable of holding it for 16 hours if he must. He'll steal Kevin's socks and put holes in them. He'll do everything he can think of to push Kevin's buttons. I don't think Kevin believes me when I tell him what a picture of innocence that puppy is when the two of us are alone for a couple of days.

It's not that they never bond, though. At night, Logan chooses to snuggle with Kevin, which makes me jealous. When Logan isn't having a barking fit as Kevin watches TV, he can be found lying on his chest.... that is, Logan can be found lying on Kevin's chest, looking like he's in heaven. And when I go to hug Kevin, Logan will leave whatever snuggly spot he has created and run to us, jump on Kevin's lap, put his hands on Kevin's shoulders and join the hug.

He is a precious little bundle of fur. I just don't get why he must push Kevin's buttons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

because kevin is a cat person. by the waaaaaaaayy... they have some adorable kittens at pet central station right now. :) and Christmas is only 23 shopping days awaaaaayyyyy..