Wednesday, November 5, 2008

So Proud of America

I think I've missed just a day of posting. Yipes! I was busy being into the election. I'm so proud of our country for voting for change. We have a lot of work ahead of us, and, as citizens, we're going to have to start thinking of each other with this work... but I think it's about time we realize that we are the United States of America and not just America. It's time to think of each other.

And with this new president, we are going to get:
*Accessible and affordable health care. Something a person like me needs.
*Our failed economy will get back on track.
*Our nation's children will be put first, with investing in early education being one of the most important topics at hand. Even college will become more affordable - put in community service and take $4000 off your tuition. I'd be up for that.
*Our planet will be saved with renewable energy and alternative fuels which will also create new jobs... back to our economy.
*Our foreign policy will become more secure so we will become a safer and respected nation, once again.
*Our homeland security is going to be increased... something that has been lacking in the last few years.
*The war in Iraq will end responsibly and the war on terrorists that we need to work on will become our focus.
*Our seniors won't have to worry about losing their Social Security.
*95% of middle class workers will receive a tax cut. I sure don't make $250,000, so this will effect me and those who do make so much should understand that those of us who are struggling for our money can use the break. The people I know who make so much understand it.
*Our troops are going to be taken care of when they get home. Something that is often overlooked and won't be anymore.

This is just the tip of the iceberg and I'm beside myself with this new era that is about to unfold. A young man whose father was from Kenya (hey! like me!) and married his mother from Kansas (practically like me!), who was then raised humbly by his mother and maternal grandparents, lost his mother at a young age to cancer, worked hard enough to get into Columbia and Harvard for his law degree, but took a job in the southside of Chicago to work as a community organizer and then lawyer and professor before he became a senator... and now here he is. Humble beginnings that took him to the most powerful job in the world... and the first half-African American to do so.

It reminds us that America is really where you go to dream and make your dreams come true.

Now we need to do our part as citizens and break the political boundaries, come together, and make America the best country that it can be. I say that as someone who isn't registered as a democrat or republican because I don't know why there can't be shades of gray.

"We are the change we have been waiting for"



No comments: