Friday, June 13, 2008

Logan wrapped in a fajita

A few years ago, I drove past a semi full of pigs and got all googly-eyed over how cute they were... then it hit me that the driver didn't just load up a truck full of adorable pigs to take them on a scenic tour for kicks... he had heart breaking plans for them.

It struck me then that if I can't bear to think of what's happening to the cute pigs on truck and the cows on my family's farm, then maybe I shouldn't be eating the meat. Derp.

I feel guilty saying this, but at that point, I was able to shut the cute pigs out of my mind when presented with a tasty ham loaf. However, as time goes on and I think more about it and read more research, I just can't do it anymore. Even when I see the little squares of chicken waiting for me to roll 'em up in my fajita for lunch, all I see is my puppy, Logan. He has feelings. So do the animals that I've been eating. I can't imagine him going through what the pigs, cows, lamb, chickens, etc., go through to be eaten... so I shouldn't be eating them, should I? Nope.

I finally bought a book I've been wanting to read called Skinny B*tch (nope, I don't even cuss if it's in the book's title), and it educated me about the health benefits of a vegetarian diet (who knew all these foods could help my brain function better and help protect my body from cancer?? Eating certain food can do that?). I learned how to eat like a vegetarian in a healthy way (I don't have to worry about missing out on protein and iron, like I thought. Non-animal foods have me covered.) and, bonus points, how a vegetarian diet can help me lose weight and maintain that lower weight for life.

It's actually a lot of overwhelming information to take in. I thought I'd just grab some lettuce leaves and a banana or something, but it turns out I need to load up on brown rice, nuts, legumes, beans and all sorts of business to be totally healthy about it.

Can I handle it?

If it means I don't have to see my Logan wrapped in a fajita when I sit down for lunch, I think I can.

Poor Logan. I'm sorry I ate him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so glad you're joining the veggie club! you will have to teach me about eating healthy as a vegimotarian. i certainly haven't put much effort into that!