Sunday, January 15, 2012

Keeping Up

So I've added a few more dresses to my collection to send out. But right now, the sewing machine and I are fighting.

I love the machine (A 2263 Singer. Or "Singer. Simple."). But the one annoyance is that it is REALLY touchy about thread in the bobbin area. So, like, if I get off track somehow and, liiiiiike, sew off of the fabric 'cause I'm too close the edge and mess things up on the bobbin side (I'm new. This happens) I have to cut the bobbin thread out and that's all fine and dandy. But then, for reasons I don't understand, the machine gets confused after that. Then I will discover that there are tiny pieces of thread that I didn't notice the first time I cleaned the Bobbin Cave out. So I'll get out the ol' tweazers and clean out every little bit that I didn't see the first time. But THEN, apparently the last time, I still missed something, because I went to sew (finally on a scrap piece of fabric 'cause I was starting to ruin the arm hole of a dress) and the needle just gets stuck because it starts to collect a bazillion pieces of bobbin threads.

I know this is way boring for someone who doesn't sew. Sorry! And probably doesn't make sense even if you do.

Anyway, the point is, I'm fighting with the machine right now. I was this-close to being done with my sixth dress and dreaming of what to do for the seventh and that happened on Friday. So tomorrow, I'll get back on the horse and figure this out. I'm just afraid it is going to involve a tool.

Like... a screwdriver. I mean, I like using tools, but I'd rather be making something if I'm going to get the toolbox out than cleaning out the Bobbin Cave.

Alas, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing (thanks to the combination of Google and the Owner's Manual). So tomorrow, I will end the fight and fix things and continue with dresses.

But I'm also really eager to make a li'l somethin' for myself. I'm not sure what. I'm an avid user of Pinterest.com and have collected a lot of ideas on there, but I have a lot of ideas just formulating in the ol' noggin that I'd like to try out.

What I like about sewing, for me, is that I allow myself mistakes. For so many other things in many other aspects of life, I am uptight and afraid to make mistakes because they will effect other people. But when I sew, I just let it all go. Little mistakes can be fixed. And if a finished product doesn't work out (like my first attempt at a shirt for me... yikes!) it's just a lesson learned and doesn't hurt anyone. I love that feeling. Ommmmmm (<~ my relaxed sound)

In other news, I'm super DUPER excited that my camera's battery charger has emerged from its hiding place! I don't like posting without pictures. And I don't like posting fuzzy photos. The battery is currently charging, so I have no photos of great interest to post right now.

Can't wait til I do!

No comments: