Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How Do You Pack for a Hospital Stay?

So next week, I will be staying at the hospital for a test called a VEEG. I've had one before, so I'm not very scared. The first time, I was terrified and wanted my mom with me 24/7, the poor thing. Every time she got up to go get some food or just get a break and go home for a while, I would cry the moment I saw her get ready to stand. This time, I realize that it isn't a trip to Jamaica, but I don't need to subject anyone else to the hospital for such long hours.

Basically, wires are attached to my head and a camera is watching me, so I can't go much further than my bed, except when I need the restroom. When that happens, I'm not allowed to walk alone, because they're taking me off of all my medication and I'm going to have many seizures, possibly the type where I fall and am unconscious, though that didn't happen last time. So, the bottom line is that I won't feel well and I can't travel far.

When I pack for a vacation, I know exactly what to pack. I'm not an over-packer, so I pack an outfit for each day, pajamas, unmentionables, dressy outfits for each dressy occasion, make up, decide if I need more than one pair of casual and dressy shoes, toiletries, accessories and hair ties. Maybe a baseball cap for days when I don't want to do my hair. If I'm flying, my carry-on luggage has one magazine, pencils, a notebook and a drawing pad. And now, it'll have my iPod. The end. I'm set.

But what about this hospital stay? I know that I will wear pajamas and that the shirts have to button down. Oddly, though I have three pairs of pajamas like this, I cannot find the tops to two of them. This is curious, because I usually don't like the button down tops and just wear the pants with a t-shirt. So wouldn't the tops be in my drawers? Who stole my button down PJ tops?

Next on the list, I obviously need unmentionables. Then toiletries.

The hard part is figuring out what to bring to keep myself entertained. When it's a vacation, you are going somewhere to be entertained. For this, I need to entertain myself, away from home, confined to a bed.

I have to consider that at first, I'll feel reasonably fine. I don't feel the best these days, but I'm well enough to work, so I'll feel well enough that I'll want something to keep me busy... I could do crafts and read and draw. I was hoping I could write, but I've had a year and a half long writer's block, so I don't know about that. I'll want stuff do to if I'm feeling well, 'cause I don't really have the patience to watch TV all the livelong day. My iPod Touch has games and a movie on it... I specifically asked for it with the knowledge that I'd have a VEEG and perhaps other hospital stays and (hopefully) recovery from brain surgery.

But what happens when I start feeling withdrawls from my medication and the seizures kick in? Do I just listen to music on my iPod? Lay there and watch reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond? But what about during the day? I hate daytime television and when I don't feel well, I can't focus on reading. Maybe I'll feel so sick that it won't be hard to sleep. But one day, I have to stay awake for 24 hours. Is there anything good on TV during the day? Maybe some I Love Lucy on TV Land or something? Lucille Ball has saved me more than I could ever explain.

Maybe I should find an audiobook to put on my iPod for the part when I don't feel well. I like hearing stories when I don't feel well, but can't fall asleep. Yeaaaaah, that's a good idea.

So we've got drawing, crafts, reading, iPod games and some TV for when I'm feeling relatively well (once Oprah hits at 4, I'm good for TV for the rest of the day)... music, audio books, and naps for when I feel more sick. Now I think next week could possibly fly by. :)

If only I could find the button down tops of my pajamas. hmph.

2 comments:

Sharon Falduto said...

I hope you find your jammies.

Coloring books?

Call me if you want me to bring anything by; I'm in the area.

Chelsea said...

I hope it goes well, I know it's gonna suck, but it'll be for the greater good, right? You can ask any momma, we spend months before the time thinking about what to pack. I think Sharon's idea of coloring books is a great idea. Plus some playing cards or games for when you have visitors if you're feeling okay. Apples to Apples is a very fun game. Can you have snacks, or is that a no no?
Do you have a laptop? Most hospitals have wireless internet, and I know a lot of tv stations keep their episodes online now, plus with facebook and everything else you might be able to keep yourself preoccupied cyberstalking and whatnot.
It kind of makes me think of labor, you want to keep busy so the time passes but you don't know when a contraction is going to hit and completely immobilize you. I know it's not exactly the same, but I can kind of, sort of, in a small way, feel like I can sympathize with you. A day versus a week kind of blows me out of the water.
Anyway, I hope it goes well for you. It'll be behind you before you know it!